Many people suffer from poor eyesight. They have distorted vision as well as difficulty in seeing objects which are near or which are at a distance. It has been seen that with age, eyes and their problems are often resolved. Many kids develop eye problems from a small age. It is necessary that we take proper care of our eyes. They need to be kept healthy and in that account, the importance of proper diet cannot be undermined. Our eyes need vitamins A, C as well as omega 3 fatty acids and bioflavonoids, carotenoids, mineral, fatty acids and anti oxidants to stay well and healthy.
The top 15 super foods for the eyes are enumerated below:
It is necessary to consume this vegetable to improve and keep eyes in proper health.
• Spinach includes nutrients like vitamin A which helps to protect the cornea
• Lutien which is found in spinach protects the eyes from ultra violet light
• Zeaxanthin is a chemical compound found in spinach leaves which helps one towards visual development
It is best that one consumes spinach juice early morning on empty stomach. It can also be consumed in different dishes in cooked, boiled or sauteed form.
It is seen that salmon fish has wondrous benefits for the eye as well.
• There are helpful nutrients in salmon which can protect the retina from damage and prevent blindness
• Omega-3 fatty acids help to preserve the essential moisture content of the eyes
• The macular degeneration that occurs is protected against by the omega-3 fatty acids
It is recommended that one has two servings of salmon at least twice a week. Salmon can be consumed in different forms but should be baked, grilled or poached to retain its nutritional benefits. The other cold water fishes that have similar benefits for the eyes:
Carrot is especially beneficial for the eyes.
• It is known to contain beta carotene which acts as a precursor to vitamin A
• Night blindness is prevented
• Healthy and clear cornea is maintained
• The cells in the eyes are protected also by the lutien compound found in carrots
• Carrot are rich in potassium and fiber
One can use carrots to snack or they can use it in the preparation of different food items.
Blueberries help one enjoy better eyesight.
• Blueberries support healthy eye function through its antioxidant, collagen stabilizing and anti inflammatory properties
• It also has vasoprotective and rhodopsin properties which help in better cellular regeneration
• Weak eyesight is strengthened and blood vessels at the back of the eyes are made stronger
• Blood pressure levels are lowered and inflammation is controlled in order to prevent blockages in arteries due to the presence of anthocyanins present in blueberries
Other berries with similar properties:
5. Sweet Potato
This root vegetable is known to be good for the eyes.
• Sweet potato contains vitamin A in good amount which makes it ideal for the eyes
• It helps in improving eyesight
• Even cataracts, macular degeneration and glaucoma are prevented by this vitamin intake
• Bacterial or viral infections and their possibilities are lessened by taking in sweet potatoes
• This vegetable is rich in potassium, fiber and beta carotene
There are various forms of this vegetable and one can have it in fried, boiled, baked or grilled form.
It is known that peppers in different colors are good for the overall health of the eyes.
• The peppers are rich sources of vitamins A and C
• Vitamin A helps to preserve eyesight
• Vitamin C protects the eyes against cataracts
• Peppers are rich in vitamin B6 as well as in beta carotene, lycopene, lutein, zeaxanthin
• These nutrients ensure that the overall health of the eyes are maintained
One can have peppers in different forms. One usually consumes them steamed, baked, stir fired or eve in raw form in salads.
Walnuts play an important role in maintaining the good health of the eyes.
• These nuts contain good amount of fatty acids of omega-3 variety
• There are zinc and vitamin nutrients in them as well as different anti oxidants
• Inflammations in the eye is prevented by such nutrients
It is known that walnuts as well as other nuts like almonds, peanuts, pecans and hazelnuts can protect the eyes and improve vision related problems.
The avocado fruit is known to be great for the eyes.
• This fruit contains lutien which prevents the macular degeneration of the eyes
• The lutien compound even prevents cataracts and age related disease from coming on
• Other nutrients contained in avocado are vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin B6, beta carotene which help to ensure good eyesight
• The stress and damage that lead to poor vision is reduced by the intake of this fruit
One can add it to salads, sandwiches, and soups or have it by themselves. This fruit has many beneficial properties for general health.
Broccoli, among all other green vegetables, offers many kinds of nutrients which can affect eye health.
• Broccoli is rich in vitamin B2.
• If there is deficiency of the vitamin it can cause sensitivity to light, ocular fatigue, blurred vision and inflammation
• Cataracts are prevented and their progress is delayed in old people
• The powerful phyto chemical anti oxidants are essential for one to maintain healthy eye sight
• Lutien and zeaxanthin are antioxidants which ensure healthy eye sight
• The nutrients are present in the flower heads as well as stalks and leaves of broccoli
One can consume this vegetable in salad or raw form.
Strawberry contains many nutrients which can foster healthy eyes.
• There is a high amount of vitamin C in this fruit which ensures that the eyes are healthy and inflammation is reduced
• There are different antioxidants present in strawberries which can help prevent the drying up of eyes, macular degeneration as well as vision defects
One should consume three or more serving of strawberries in order to reduce the possibilities of eye defects related with age. The fruit can be had as a healthy snack or as fruit salad, dessert, smoothies and more.
11. Dark Chocolate
If you love to have dark chocolate, here is one more reason to have it. It helps to preserve the health of the eyes.
• Antioxidants like flavonols are present in dark chocolate which increases the blood flow to the retina
• When one incorporates flavonols in their diet they are able to see situations better even under dim lighting
Even if one does not have access to dark chocolate, apples, cranberries, red wine are other options which contain the flavonol compound to help better eye health.
12. Leafy And Green Vegetables
Spinach is a popular choice when it comes to ensuring good eyesight but so are other green and leafy vegetables like:
• Collard greens
• Turnip greens
• These leafy greens are rich in lutien and zeaxanthin
• The rate or risk of macular degeneration as well as cataract formation is lowered by the intake of green and leafy vegetables
13. Red Wine
Nowadays red wine is being linked with many health benefits.
Benefits For The Eye:
• Red wine is known to contain flavonol compounds
• This compound is linked to better eye health including improved vision even under low visibility
Red wine can be consumed several times in a week but moderation must be exercised. It is even good for the heart and for alleviating other ailments as well.
14. Coffee And Tea
Now you can feel less guilty about consuming tea and coffee several times in a day.
• It is known that coffee and tea can help to reduce the dryness of eyes
• Caffeine is known to boost the production of tears
In such ways the symptoms of dry eyes is eliminated by the consumption of caffeine. However one needs to moderate their intake of caffeine on a daily basis as other side effects might come forth.
15. Black Eyed Peas
While you might not be very familiar with this legume, it certainly contains valuable nutrients for the eye.
• It contains the important nutrient zinc
• Zinc is a mineral that is required in the retina as well as for the maintenance of the blood vessels which serve the eyeball
• Zinc obtained from black eyed peas can help to prevent vision loss as well as cataract formation